Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 5 Undressing

So I have been deliberating for a bit on what to show my readers when it comes to the actual wounds from surgery. I don't want to cross that line of TMI or show anything too gross. But also, I want to be informative and "keep it real", as was stated in my mission statement. So after discussion with some close friends, I decided to show you some pictures. A word of caution if you get squeamish easily.

Okay. So the nurses said to switch my dressings on day 5. This would involve removing the white compression stocking. Then the brown ACE bandage that was wrapped tightly around me knee. Then the white gauze and some large white bandaid-like things. Finally, butterfly bandaids. We were told that the butterfly bandaids would come off when they were ready. So since most of them didn't come off on their own volition, we left them there.

Figure 1. Removal of dressings. A) The ACE bandage was found under the white compression sock. B) Under the ACE bandage was white gauze. C) After removing the white gauze and some large square patches, I saw this. These bandages were not yet removed as them seemed very firm and not ready to be moved. 
The knee was not as gross as what I was expecting. But it was definitely swollen and had some markings on it. I could see one set of stitches out of three (two for the arthroscopics and one for the graft). This was a relief because I was most nervous about the wound left from the hamstring graft. My leg overall looking weird because my thigh seemed to lack all muscle and was just kinda floppy. My knee was big and round and my foot was also swollen and club-like.

I was happy to redress the wounds.

Figure 2. Replacing dressings. A) First we put back new gauze and the ACE bandage. Then I put the compression stockings back on. The left leg stocking just keeps my leg warm. B) The non-slip socks were added, as well as the ice machine. C) Finally the brace! And I am as good as new. Almost. Soon. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment